NOTE: this is a more yam bites type of yam cake. Do 1/2 recipe if only meant for 2-3paxs. I kept the extra portion frozen for rainy days.
340g rice flour
80g tapioca flour
900-1000ml water - depends on the softness u want to achieve
1 tsp sesame oil/ shallot oil
2 -3 tsp salt
1 tsp ground white pepper
900g yam- diced
50g dried shrimp, soaked in water, chopped coarsely (reserve liquid)
8 chinese mushroom, soaked & diced finely
1-2 Chinese sausage , diced finely.
10 shallots, sliced thinly
4tbsp cooking oil
1 red chili, seeded and sliced
1 stalk spring onion , chopped
1. Dissolve flours in water. Leave aside while preparing the ingredients.
2. Heat oil in wok, Stir in shallot. fry until golden brown. Remove shallot from wok and set aside.
3. Use the oil to fry the dry shrimps, mushroom, sausage till fragrant. Add in yam. stir fry until fragant. Turned to lower heat.
4. Add reserved dried prawns liquid. Add sesame oil, salt, pepper. Stir fry till the dry shrimp water absorbed by the yam.
5. Add in the flour mixture. Stir it with low flame on.
6. Once it thickens, transfer batter into a lightly greased 8" deep pan, steam for 40-50 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before slicing.
7. Slice and garnish with red chili, fried shallot and spring onion (optional)
8. For image above, pan fry the thinly sliced yam cake. Pan fry both sides till slightly golden brown.
9. Add in beaten egg once it turned slightly golden brown. Pan fry both sides till crispy.
Note: I used small trays and steamed for 20-30min.
Garnished with Chilli, shallot & spring onion.