Old-Fashioned Buttercream Cakes
(Estimated 10 slices)
Eggs 4 medium size (room temperature)
Cake/Plain Flour 100g - sieve twice (i use cake flour)
Melted butter 60g
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Egg whites 50g
a pinch of salt
Butter 130g (cut into small pieces) - recommend to use salted butter
Some Piping jelly topping (You can get ready made pipng jelly from phoon huat)
- Add a little bit of water to dilute it just a little,add in colourings and transfer them to a piping bag.
1. Lined a 12x10x1" shallow rectangular baking pan with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in mixer till light and fluffy.
3. Use a scraper to fold in sifted flour alittle at a time till well mix. (Fast and gentle)
4. Fold in melted butter and mix well.
5. Pour batter into baking pan, smooth surface and give a few bang on the table to remove air bubbles.
6.Bake at 200◦C for 10 -12mins. Let cool.
1. Using a hand whisk, mix well ingredient (A) in a heat-proof bowl.
2. Use double boiling method over simmering water and continue to stir for 3-4 mins till sugar dissolve. Remove from double-boiler.
3. Using a hand mixer, beat on high till the meringue is thick, glossy and cool.
4. Add in butter little by little and beat till well combined for a few more mins. You will find your buttercream getting more and more stable as you whip them.
(**Note : I added another 1 - 2 pinches of salt at this point because i like a little more savoury for my buttercream just like the ones from traditional bakery shop.You may choose to add more or not depend on own preferences.)
Assembly the cakes:
1. Cut the cool sponge into half sandwich it with buttercream.
2. To achieve a nice cut for the cakes, would recommend to sit the sandwiched cake into the refrigerator before slicing them.
3. Slice them and decorate as desired.
Self-made Piping Jelly Topping:
(I have tried the 1st recipe using the gelatine ones but i don't really like the smell and taste, so i added in some lemon juice to cover it but still dont really like it. I didnt try the 2nd one though so i cant comment. Anyone who try it please let us know the outcome. Thanks.)