(Recipe adapted from Butter, Flour & Me who use recipe from《最想吃的街坊美食》)
Makes about : 42
4 large cold eggs (straight from fridge)
150g sugar (I reduce my sugar to 120g)
150g plain flour (baked)
1tsp baking powder
Cooking oil, for greasing (I use melted butter. Do not use olive oil/peanut oil)
1tsp of chocolate/vanilla/lemon essence (optional)
1. Preheat oven at 200ºc.
2. Put flour in a baking pan and bake for 2 minutes. Stir flour on 1 minute interval. Set aside to cool. Add in baking powder and stir well. Sift for two to three times.
3. Add sugar into the cold eggs. Beat the mixture on a stand mixer for 20minutes until fluffy, thick & pale (ribbon stage). Add in chocolate/vanilla/lemon essence. Beat over slow speed for another 1 minute.
4. Slowly add in sifted flour over egg mixture. Mix over low speed till combined and smooth. Do not over mix.
5. Oil the mould properly with melted butter/oil. Heat up the mould in the oven for around 1 minute.
6. Remove the mould from the oven. Use a spoon to fill up the mould with batter slowly, to 80% full.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes (no fan) at middle rack until golden brown.
8. Remove the mould from oven and use a toothpick to carefully prick cake with skewer and lift out. Cool on wire rack.
- Grease warm mould again before use and put into oven to re-heat for another 2 minutes. Continue to bake until all mixture finished.
- Store in air-tight container once cooled.
- Use cold eggs straight from fridge will give thick and stable batter.
- The texture of the kuih bahulu will become light and spongy if you dry the flour in the oven before use.
- The mould must be hot and greased so cake will not stick to the mould when removing them.
- For slight crispy bahulu, turn cakes onto tray and return to oven at 180ºc for 5 minutes. Cool on wire rack (optional).
- It would be good if you have few spares of kuih bahulu moulds ready so you don’t have to clean the mould each time after baking.
- Homemade kuih bahulu is best to be eaten when they are freshly out of the oven as the outer layer is crispy and the cake is soft. Once they have cooled down, they are a bit dry & hard. You can heat up these little cakes in microwave for few seconds, they will become soft again.