Golden Cheese Sticks and Balls by Lily Chua
3 Russet Potatoes, remove skin, quartered and boiled till skewer goes in easily
Mainland Edam Cheese use about 100 gm and cut into 10 slices about 1 cm thick and half the slices into sticks. (you can replace with Block Cheddar Cheese)
Sufficient Panko crumbs or regular bread crumbs.
Sufficient Plain Flour about 2 cups, add some herbs mixed inside eg. McCormick Perfect Pinch
Salt, Black Pepper
2 Eggs beaten
Some salted butter about 60gm
1. Prepare the potatoes. After boil, throw away the water and swirl potatoes in pot over low fire till remainder water evaporated.
2. Remove potatoes into a large bowl and mash them. Sprinkle black pepper, salt and butter and mix well.
3. Prepare your cheese while the potato cools enough for you to handle.
4. Use a heaped tablespoon of mash potato and wrap one cheesestick inside.
5. Cover the potato with herbed flour.
6. Next dredge in egg and cover with panko crumbs.
7. Repeat till all is done. Chill in fridge.
8. To make balls, break the cheese stick into 3 portions.
9. Scoop some potato mash and place the small cheesestick inside.
10. Shape into a ball.
11. Cover with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Chill them in the fridge.
12. Prepare your oil in wok or use electric fryer ( I used level 4)
13. When oil is heated, just place your sticks and balls and fry till light golden brown.
14. Do not fry too long or cheese may ooze out.