Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake By Amanda Tay
110g cake flour
50g castor sugar
100g gula melaka
¼ tsp baking powder
40ml thick coconut milk
3 stalks pandan leaves
¼ cup oil (60ml)
½ tsp vanilla essence
1. Melt the gula melaka with coconut milk and pandan leaves using small fire. Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Shift cake flour and baking powder together.
2. Beat the egg yolks till creamy and fluffy.
3. Add 1/3 of the gula melaka mixture and mix well, followed by 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold well. Continue with another 1/3 of the gula melaka mixture and 1/3 of the flour mixture. Repeat until the gula melaka mixture and flour are used up.
4. Add in vanilla essence and salad oil, and gently mix well.
5. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add in the castor sugar, and continue to beat until firm peaks are formed.
6. Take 1/3 of the egg white and add to the batter. Gently fold in to mix well. Pour the batter into the remaining egg white and gently fold in to mix well.
7. Pour batter into chiffon cake mould. Gently knock the sides of the mould to release air bubbles trapped inside.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 150oC for about 60 minutes. Remove from oven, invert the mould and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Once cooled, removed from mould