Ingredients for Syrup
250 gm cups sugar
300 ml water
3 pandan leaves
Boil all ingredients over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
Discard pandan leaves and strain the syrup.
Ingredients for Tai Bak
250 gm rice flour
5 tbsp tapioca flour,
mix and sifted
- Combine Rice Flour and Tapioca flour.
- Take about 3 tablespoon of the combined flour mixture with about 100 ml of water in a small saucepan and constantly stir over low heat till it thickens.
- Put this cooked mixture into the flour mixture.
- Add water little by little to the combine cooked and flour mixture and bind them together.
- Mix till it becomes a firm dough.
- You can have a small portion of coloured tai bak to your dough as you wish.
( I have just been advise blue colour is used by peranakans for worship purposes, so red or any other colour would be good)
- Fill half a pot with water. Bring to a boil and add pandan leaves.
- Place tai bak/cendol mould over the wok.
- Scoop dough and press through firmly.
- Stir lightly to separate the Tai Bak.
- When cooked, Tai Bak will float to the surface.
- Drain and strain in a basin of cold water.
- Continue to rinse to cool the tai bak
- Serve with 1 tbsp syrup, 1/2 cup water and ice cubes.
For those without the mould, you can use a plastic bag.
Cut a small hole at the tip and fill it with mixture and squeeze into the boiling water.
(Imagine milking the cow....moooomooooo)
Because I used plastic bag to pipe dough, result is a bit longer.
The proper size should be about one inch long only.
Another alternative kit would be cookie pump, use the multiple hole design.