Panfried Dumplings (冰花锅贴)
150g minced meat
4-5 cabbage leaves
1 sprig of spring onion (optional)
12 white round dumpling wrappers
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2-3 slices of ginger
1 tbsp corn flour
12 tbsp water
1. Finely dice cabbage leaves and mix in the sesame oil thoroughly, set aside. Cabbage leave must be 2 times (volume not weight wise) to the amount of meat.
3. Finely dice ginger (about 1 tsp) and chop the spring onion then mix them into the meat together with soy sauce.
4. Mix the corn flour and water, set aside.
5. Mix both the vegetable and meat thoroughly.
6. Wrap 1 tbsp (heapful) of meat stuffing into each wrapper, ingredient stated above makes 12 dumplings.
7. Ensure you make the dumpling base broader (ie dumpling is able to 'sit') as we need to brown the base in the pan. Wrap the dumplings only just before panfrying them else the wrapper will 'sweat' making them difficult to handle.
8. Heat the oil in a non stick pan, remove pan from heat and arrange the dumplings in your desired shape.
9. Pan fry the dumplings for 3-5 mins till the base is browned.
10. Stir the corn flour solution before pouring it into the pan. Fill the pan to about 1/5 height of dumplings.
11. Cover and steam over medium heat till the corn flour solution bubbles and dries up (forming the snowflakes design), about 10-15 mins. Be watchful over this process as you won't want to burn the base of the dumplings.
12. Once done, put a plate over the dumplings and over turn to release the dumplings from pan.
13. Serve hot with julienne ginger in vinegar, Bon appetit!