Tau Sha Peah/Mung Bean Biscuit
Ingredients: (Yields 50+ pieces )
Plain flour 280g
Icing sugar 30g
Water 120 - 140ml
Cake flour 230g
Mung beans 500g (Soaked in water overnight or at least 3hrs, steam till cooked )
salt 2 tsp
white pepper 1 tsp (I saw quite a number of recipes uses white pepper for extra seasoning, but i omit it.)
12 - 15 shallots thinly sliced
*Egg yolks for egg wash
Method for fillings:
1. Heat oil in a wok, fried shallots till lightly brown and crisp. Remove and let cool. chop/crush them into small pieces.
2. Mash cooked mung beans,add in sugar,salt and white pepper(If you are using it.) till well mix.
3. Stir-fried mung beans mixture in the shallot oil at low-heat till dry and form a dough and doesn't stick to the wok. Add in the crush shallots and mix till well.
4. Let cool and divide them into 20g each.
1. Mix all water dough ingredients in a mixer using a dough hook or hand knead till smooth dough form. Wrap with a clingwrap and rest dough for 30mins.
2. Mix all oil dough ingredients using a flat beater at low speed or by hand till dough form.
3. Weigh 8g of water dough and 5g of oil dough.
4. Wrap oil dough in water dough. Flaten it and roll it out into a long rectangular shape.
5. Roll them up like a swissroll, turn by 90degree and repeat the steps of rolling out and rolling up again.
6. Fold them into half and roll them out into a circle shape.
7. Wrap in the bean fillings. Egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 180 degree.C for 20mins or till golden brown.
- You will notice there will be a layer of oil after resting the water dough, thats normal just give it a few kneads to let the oil absorb back to the dough.
- When handling/dividing the oil dough u might need to sprinkle alittle bit of flour on the working table to prevent it from sticking.