Matcha Magic Custard Cake
Ingredients: (makes a 8" square pan)
113g unsalted butter (I used Echire Doux French butter)
485g fresh milk
1 tablespoon water
4 eggs, separated
100g plain flour
15g premium Matcha powder (for original flavour, omit this and replace with plain flour)
145g icing sugar
2 Tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Extra icing sugar for dusting (I use snow powder, which will not melt when put into the fridge)
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Lightly grease and line a 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour and matcha powder together.
4. Use an electric mixer and whisk the egg whites till foamy, add in the caster sugar and whisk till stiff peak. (make sure there is no oil or water in the bowl or the meringue will not be successful)
5. In another bowl. beat the egg yolks and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Add in the melted butter and one tablespoon of water and beat for about 2 minutes or until evenly incorporated.
7. Mix in the sifted flour until evenly incorporated.
8. Use a hand whisk and gently beat in the milk and vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
9. Fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in. (The batter will appear curdy, just fold till no big curds are seen)
10. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden.
11. Allow cake to completely cool before cutting and then dust with icing sugar.
*** It's a magical cake that forms into 3 layers when baked.
Note: It is normal that the batter is runny and after adding in the meringue becomes curdy, just continue to fold until the curds are very small.