Gula Melaka Chicken
- 500g chicken pieces, with or without skin depending on your preference
- 1tbs dark soy sauce (chicken rice kind)
- 1/2 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tbs gula melaka, chopped into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, bruised with skin on
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Marinate chicken for at least half an hour with the dark and light soy sauce, pepper and salt (optional).
2) Heat a little oil in a wok or pot and fry garlic over medium heat till fragrant.
3) Add chicken and turn up the heat a little and fry till well browned, dry and oils start to be released, about 5 minutes.
4) Add gula melaka and water and bring to a boil. Once liquid is boiling, reduce to a low flame and simmer uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes till liquid reduces, thickens and turns glossy.
5) Serve with rice.