Steamed Rose Buns (Man tou) by Lily Chua
Recipe as follows :
Taken from youtube valentine rose cake
2 1/3 cup all purpose flour ( about 260 g)
1 cup warm water
1 tsp yeast
4 tbsp. sugar
food colouring or jam
1. Place the 4 tablespoon of caster sugar in a medium size bowl. Add 1 cup of warm water . Add the tsp of yeast and stir. Wait for water to turn cloudy about 5 minutes.
2. Add in a few drops of colouring. Stir.
3. Then add half the flour and stir. Add remaining flour. Stir, and knead into a dough.
4. Oil the dough lightly and keep covered. Proof for 35-45 minutes.
5. Remove from proofing and use some dough to roll into a long pc like a Chinese You Tiao or fried fritter on a floured surface.
6. Cut into several pieces. Roll the pieces into a balls. Use half a ball and roll that into a cylinder shape for the bud inside the rose.
7. Flatten the 4-5 balls into circles.
8. Place the circles in overlapping fashion. Place the cylinder on the first circle at the edge. Roll cylinder towards you with the circles.
9. Cut the rolled dough into two at the middle with a sharp knife.
10. Open up the petals and let the roses rest for 15 minutes.
11. Steam for 14 minutes. Let them rest in steamer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from steamer to cool slightly before serving.
You can keep them overnight in the fridge. Just microwave for 25 seconds the next day.
Post a Comment