4 oranges, scrubbed and cut into wedges
2 sprigs thyme
4 tbsp red wine
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oven to 220 C
2. Prick duck skin all over with sharp needle to allow fat to run out. Remove fats from the cavity of the duck and rub the cavity and skin with salt and pepper.
3. Put the wedges from one orange into the cavity with the thyme sprigs and put the duck into roasting pan.
4. Roast in the oven for 20min then drain over excess fat. Turn the oven down to 180C and roast for another 30min.
5. Drain off excess fat once again. But retain the meat juice. Baste the duck and tuck the remaining oranges around it. Return to oven for another 30-40min or until the juices from the thickest part of the duck legs run clear.
6. Remove the duck and orange wedges from the pan and keep warm.
7. To make the gravy, drain off the fat from the meat juice and heat the juices. Add the red wine to the meat juices, let bubble then add the broth. Simmer for 5min and season with salt and pepper.
p.s. My kids don't really fancy the sauce so I skipped the wine just drain the meat juice from the duck. Squeeze in a bit of orange juice and the juice is tangy and yummy.
You can omit the thyme but add in fresh sweet bad after roasting.
Basil and duck is yummy!