Blueberry Pound Cake with optional Fig topping
(8"x 4" rectangle mould)
125g Salted butter (if using unsalted can add pinch of salt)
~ softened and cut into cubes
125g Caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
2 nos Egg
195g Multi-purpose flour
1-2 Tbsp Multi-purpose flour (for coating of berry)
1 tsp Baking powder
1 whole Lemon zest + half Lemon Juice
80 ml Milk (I used low fat milk)
30 pcs Blueberry (can have mixture of blueberry and black berry) not blackberry phone.
Half (optional) Fresh fig - cut into 5 wedges.
- preheat oven at 180DC, lay baking paper into cake tin.
- I have brushed on some butter at the baking suface of the baking sheet.
- toss berries in a bowl with 1-2 tbsp of flour, shake off the excess flour.
- Coating of flour to the berry may help preventing it from sinking.
1) combine butter cubes and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2) Beat with a electric mixer in slow speed till creamy.
3) add in vanilla, continue beating.
4) add in 2 eggs, one at a time, beat till light and creamy.
5) add in milk and lemon zest + lemon juice, slowly beat to combine.
6) seive in flour and baking powder, and using spatula to fold.
7) Pour in the berries and mix gently and combine evenly with spatula to prevent breaking of the berries.
8) Pour the mixture into the cake mould.
9) Optional: Lay and press in lightly the fig onto the top of the cake mixture, exposing half of it for aesthetics.
10) Bake in middle rack for 50-60mins till the cake is fully done.
Test by inserting a satay skewer fully and take it out clean.
* I actually transferred to the bottom rack after 30mins as I felt it's top surface was browning fast. ( This will depend on individual oven)
* You can also reduce the temperature to 160DC and bake slightly longer.