Baked Pumpkin Balls
Ingredients - makes 17 balls
180 gm pumpkin puree (Malaysia pumpkin excluding the skin)
1/2 onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
60 gm panko crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon
1 egg, beaten
2-3 tablespoon oil for frying
others - 1 frying pan and spatula, 1 medium mixing bowl, 1 small bowl to beat egg, 1 baking tray, cooking spray. chopping board and knife, steamer to steam pumpkin, bowl for pumpkin
1. Cut the pumpkin to smaller chunks and place inside a bowl. Weight of pumpkin 180gm. Using a electric steamer I steamed the pumpkin 20 minutes. Maybe 15 minutes will be sufficient.
2. While pumpkin is cooking, dice the onion and garlic.
3. Heat up the frying pan with 2-3 tablespoon oil.
4. Fry the onion till brownish.
5. Add in the garlic and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Do not use any charred onion or garlic which will give bitter taste.
6. Next, prepare a medium mixing bowl
7. Put the panko crumbs, salt, black pepper inside and mix.
8. Remove the pumpkin from the steamer and mash with a teaspoon.
9. Add pumpkin into the breadcrumb mixture.
10. Add in the cooked onion and garlic.
11. Beat the egg and pour inside the bowl.
12. Mix everything up well.
13. Turn oven to 190 degree celcius.
14. Spray a cooking tray with cooking spray.
15. Wash your hands and form 16-17 balls about the size of small fishballs.
16. Put them on the tray.
17. Bake for up to 12 minutes only. Remove from the tray when bottom of balls is browned.
18. Do not bake too long or the ball may stick to your tray. Remove immediately and put onto a plate.
19. Can eat on its own or serve it with tabasco sauce recommended in original recipe.
Source: Original recipe from Recipebridge – mini pumpkin sage balls