Assam Fish (less spicy, kid-friendly version)
450g batang (mackerel) filets (about 3-4 filets)
12-15 small lady's finger
4 medium red onions halved
3 tomatoes, quartered
200g brinjal (I omitted because kids don't like)
6 shallots, finely chopped
3 sprigs curry leaves
Approximately 1.5cm ginger, sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
2 stalks lemongrass, white part slant-cut into 2cm-long sections
1 tbsp instant fish curry spice, chilli oil removed (I used A1 fish curry sauce)
2 tbsp tamarind
1 large lime juice
2 tsp sugar
500 ml water
3 dashes of fish sauce
1. Dissolve tamarind in water. Filter through sieve. Add sugar, lime juice and fish sauce to the sieved tamarind juice
2. Stir fry chopped shallots, ginger and garlic until aromatic.
3. Add fish curry paste, curry leaves and lemongrass and stir fry for about a minute.
4. Add assam (tamarind) solution and bring to boil.
5. Add onion halves and simmer for 5 min. Add fish and simmer for 2 min. Flip fish filets and add lady's finger (and brinjal). Simmer for 5-7 min or until vegetables are cooked. Add tomatoes 1 min before turning off fire.
6. Do a taste test before turning off fire to see if there is a need to add more fish sauce or salt.
Feel free to add or reduce the vegetables in this recipe, and season according to taste.