Paong (Terrenganu Sweet Bread Rolls)
260g plain flour ( original says 200gm but I find the dough still sticky)60gm caster sugar
1 egg room temperature
100 ml water
1/4 tsp instant yeast (original says 1/8 tsp)
2. Slowly add the flour and knead till dough is soft and doesn't stick to your fingers. You can try with 100gm and add another 100 gm and then slowly add 20 gm by 20gm till it no longer feels sticky.
3. Cover with cling wrap across the bowl and leave it to proof for 3 hours.
4. Remove and divide into 18 pcs weighing 24 gm each. Knead each piece with some margarine on your fingers.
5. Grease your enamel plate with margarine/butter and the arrange the dough in circles. I made a flower using 7 pcs of dough in the centre and 11 pcs on the outside of the flower. Place them slightly spaced apart.
6. Wrap loosely with the same clingwrap and let it proof in your cupboard for 3 hours.
7. Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius.
8. Bake at lower level for up to 15 minutes or till the bun is golden brown.
9. I baked for only about 12 minutes.
10. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
11. You can put it back into the plate after cooling.
I attempted today with a very tiny pc of hard cheese inside.
Source: Recipe from someone’s facebook “Grandma’s/modified by my mum”