1.6 kg pork shoulder blade or collar, rinsed and cut into 3 or 4 big pieces
¾ tsp each salt and pepper
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 onions, minced
4 garlic, minced
2 tbs chilli powder (optional)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 bay leaves
¼ cup tomato paste
1 can (14 oz) tomato puree
2 tbs each packed brown sugar and cider vinegar
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional to garnish)
1. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large pot or pan, heat oil over medium high heat, then brown pork all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
2. Add onions, garlic, chilli powder, coriander and bay leaves to large pot and fry, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, cook until darkened, about 2 minutes. Add tomato puree, sugar, cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, scrapping up brown bits from the pan as you stir. Pour into slow cooker and cook on low until pork is tender, about 8 to 10 hours.
4. Let pork rest about 10 minutes, then with 2 forks, shred or pull apart the pork.
5. Pour liquid from slow cooker into large saucepan, skim off fat. Bring to boil and reduce sauce a bit, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
6. Add pork, reduce heat and simmer till pork is heated through, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions if you wish.
7. Serve on buns with cheese and sour cream if you like.