Polo Buns recipe
Original adapted from :http://www.wretch.cc/blog/mabelchong/4155189
Picture tutorial can refer to : http://www.pigpigscorner.com/2011/01/pineapple-bun-bo-luo-bao-by-christines.html
Bread Ingredients :
· Bread flour 270g
· Cake flour 30g
· Yeast 4g
· Sugar 39g
· Salt 5g
· Milk powder 30g
· unsalted butter 30g
· egg 30g
· water 165g
Crusty top ingredients:
· Cake flour 120g
· Butter 60g
· Sugar 60g
· Baking soda 1g
· Baking powder 3g
· Ammonia powder (edible) 1g
· Egg 30g ( mixed)
· Cheese powder 10g
Methods for bread :
1. For the bread, I put all ingredients into a bread maker except the butter. When the ingredients come together , I will then add butter and let it mix for 20min. If knead by hand, the dough should be smooth and shiny and can pass the window test.
2. Let is proof for 1hr or until double.
3.Divide the dough into 64 g each and roll into round nice shape. Rest the dough for another 40 to 1 hr till it doubles in sizes.
4.Egg wash the dough ( I skipped this step) , Take out the crusty top from fridge. Divide equally among the dough. ( must be fast before the crusty top turns soft). Flatten the crusty dough and add on top of the bread. Use a knife to make the lines ( I omitted this step ) Then egg wash the crusty dough.
5. Bake at 200degrees for 18-20 mins ( depend on individual oven )
Methods for the crusty top:
1. First, sift mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ammonia powder, cheese powder together.
2. When the butter has soften, add in sugar and whisk till fluffy and white. Then add in beaten egg in 2-3 additional till well mix
3. Add in the sifted flour mixture and mix slowly. Do not overmix.
4. When a dough is formed, put into the fridge for 1-2 hrs or next day