200g cream cheese (at room temperature)
3 eggs (separated)
100g caster sugar (divided into 2 bowls of 50g each)
2 TBsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. Soften cream cheese with milk in a bowl. Add half the caster sugar (50g), egg yolks, cornflour and lemon juice and combine together.
2. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl, and whisk till foamy. Add the remaining sugar (50g) in 2-3 batches until mixture turns into soft peaks.
3. Fold 1/3 of egg white mixture into cream cheese mixture and mix well.
4. Fold in remaining egg white mixture as gently as possible.
5. Transfer mixture into a 18cm (7 inch) springform pan.
6. Put the pan into a larger roasting tin and create a bain-marie by pouring boiling water in the roasting tin.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 175 degrees for 35 to 40 mins.
- Leave the cake to cool in the oven for 10 mins with the door slightly ajar before removing from the oven. This will prevent the cake from sinking.
- You may wish to cover the pan with foil if the surface of the cake becomes too dark while baking. Do not open the oven door until it has been in the oven for at least 20 mins.