(Largely adapted from http://www.thelittleteochew.com/2009/09/easy-salmon-cakes.html)
- 1 fillet fresh salmon, about 250g
- 2 large potatoes, cut into chunks and boiled till soft
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (i used cheddar)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3 tbsp of mayo (use your discretion - just enough for the fish mixture to be sticky, for shaping into patties)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tray of panko or breadcrumbs
1. Boil potato, or microwave on high till cooked, then mash coarsely into chunks.
2. In the meantime, remove bones and skin from salmon. Rinse.
3. Bring a small saucepan of milk to a boil. Poach the salmon, about 10mins, over a very low fire till cooked. You can flavour the milk, for eg, add garlic (like I did) or bay leaves or lemongrass, etc, to give the fish an added dimension in taste.
4. Remove from milk and drain off excess fluids. Cool.
5. In a large bowl, combine mashed potato, grated parmesan, salt, pepper and mayo. Flake in the poached salmon with a fork and gently fold everything together. Do not stir or overmix.
6. Shape into patties. If the patties keep crumbling, add a little more mayo.
7. Heat up oil in a skillet. Dip one patty at a time, into egg, then panko, then into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown over a medium flame.
8. Dish up and drain excess oil. Serve.