500g grated fresh tapioca
225g fine sugar (I would reduce the amount the next time I make. Find it too sweet for me.)
30g butter (softened)
75g grated white coconut
250ml coconut milk
2 tbsp gula melaka syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs (beaten)
1. Grease and line a 6-inch square pan. (I used a 7-inch and thus my kueh is a bit shorter.) Preheat oven at 180 deg celsius.
2. In a large mixing nowl, mix the grated tapioca with the softened butter, sugar and eggs. Blend it thoroughly till well-mixed and sugar dissolved.
3. Then add in the gula melaka syrup, followed by the coconut milk.
4. Lastly add in the white grated coconut and vanilla essence. Mix well and bake for about 50 minutes, and further bake for 10 minutes for upper heating only.
5. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Source: Largely adapted from book " With love, from the LITTLE NONYA"