For the Cake
250ml (9fl oz) Guinness
250g (9oz) unsalted butter
80g (3oz) Cocoa powder
400g (14oz) Caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence ( I used extract instead)
140ml (5fl oz) Buttermilk
280g (10oz) Plain Flour
2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
For the Frosting
50g (1 ¾ oz) Softened unsalted butter
125g (4 1/4oz) full fat cream cheese
300g (10 ½ oz) Icing Sugar
Cocoa Powder for dusting.
- Grease and line the base of a 9 inch (23cm) spring form cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 170C (325F)
- Pour the Guinness into a saucepan and then add the butter and heat gently until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder and sugar into the warm mixture.
- In a bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla essence, and eggs together. Add this to the mixture in the saucepan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a mixer or hand held whisk. Mix on a low speed and add the mixture from the pan. Mix thoroughly until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for approx 45 minutes.
- The cake will be baked when the sponge bounces back when pressed lightly and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down, remove from the tin onto a wire rack and set aside until it has completely cooled down before adding any frosting.
- To make the frosting, using a mixer or hand held whisk, mix the butter and icing sugar together until it is fully combined and smooth. Add the cream cheese and mix on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Cover the cooled cake with the frosting, and lightly sieve a dusting of cocoa powder on top.