(makes 8 buns)
Bread flour 160g
Cake flour 40g
Milk powder 10g
Caster sugar 20g
Fine salt 2g
Instant yeast 3g
Pumpkin puree 50g
Pumpkin seeds (optional)
Pumpkin puree 150g
Caster sugar 25g
Whipping cream 30g
Corn starch 45g (to be added last and actual quantity depends on the constituency)
1) Mix all the ingredients for the pumpkin filling well. Add in the corn starch to reach a custard like constituency. You may need more or less of the amount (45g) stated above. Set the filling aside for later use. Or you may place in the fridge.
2) Knead the ingredients for the bread. I used BM for the kneading and added the wet ingredients first, followed by the dry ingredients.Approximately after 2-5min of the kneading, I would add in the salt and the butter.
3) First proof the kneaded dough for around 1 hour. After that, slightly pump the dough and divide it into 8 equal portions. Cover these 8 dough balls with a cling wrap and let rest for 15min.
4) Flatten each dough ball slightly and fill in the pumpkin filling (around 1.5 teaspoon) carefully. Pinch the ends well to prevent leaking of the filling. The filling might be a bit watery. Hence please wrap with extra care to prevent leakage.
5) Place the filled dough buns onto a tray (you may place them in the paper cup casings). Press the buns slightly to flatten them a bit.
6) Let proof for another 1 hr.
7) Use a sharp knife or scissors and gently make cut patterns on the surface of the proofed buns. Please be careful not to cut too deep as the fillings might be exposed. Egg wash and top with the pumpkin seeds.
8) In a preheated oven of 180 deg cel, bake for around 12-15min.