Lemon Lavender Chiffon
Ingredients: 5 eggs
110g cake flour
120g caster sugar (separate into 60g and 60g)
1/4 tsp baking powder
60ml evaporated milk
2 tsp lemon zest
2 lavender tea bags or 2 tsps lavender tea leaves/flowers
1/4 cup oil (60ml)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
some lavender tea leaves/flowers (if you prefer your chiffon to have these tea bits. If the leaves/flowers are too large, you may process them to finer bits)
1. Heat up the milk with the lavender tea bags/tea leaves till you can smell the aroma. Remove from heat and leave to cool, while letting the lavender fragrance to be infused.
2. Grate the peel of a lemon to obtain 2 tsps of lemon zest. Separate the egg whites and yolks. Sift cake flour and baking powder together.
3. Add 1/2 of the sugar (60g) to the egg yolks and beat till creamy and fluffy.
4. Strain the lavender milk. Add 1/3 of the lavender milk and mix well, followed by 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold well. Continue with another 1/3 of the lavender milk and 1/3 of the flour mixture. Repeat until the juice mixture and flour are all used up.
5. Add in vanilla essence, lemon zest and salad oil, and gently mix well. You may like to add in some fresh lavender tea leaves (or lavender flowers) to the batter if you like your chiffon to be with the bits.
6. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add in the remaining sugar, and continue to beat until firm peaks are formed.
7. Take 1/3 of the egg white and add to the batter. Gently fold in to mix well. Pour the batter into the remaining egg white and gently fold in to mix well.
8. Pour the batter into chiffon cake mould. Gently knock the sides of the mould to release air bubbles trapped inside.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven at 150 deg cel for about 60 minutes. Remove from oven, invert the mould and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Once cooled, remove from mould.
I am using a 17cm mould and personally I prefer to let the chiffon cooled for an hour before unmoulding. I also prefer to unmould the cake using hands and not knife.