Cream of Mushroom Soup
5 cups sliced white button mushrooms
1.5 cups chicken broth
0.5 cup chopped onions
1/4 tsp dried thyme
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
0.5 cup milk
0.5 cup cooking cream
1 tbsp sherry
1. In a large pot, cook mushroom in the chicken broth with the onion & thyme till tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Puree the mixture, set aside.
3. In a separate saucepan ,melt the butter, then whisk in the flour until smooth. Add in into the mushroom puree, together with the salt, pepper, milk & cream. Bring the soup to the boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Season to taste & add sherry.
1. You may use 1 cup milk instead of 0.5 cup milk & 0.5 cup cream if you do not have cream on hand. Using cream gives the soup a creamier texture.
2. I used a hand held blender to blend the soup directly in the pot. You may use the conventional blender to do so but make sure the soup is slightly cool before transferring to the blender.
3. If you like a smooth texture, you may blend it totally. However, I like a chunkier soup, so I only blended half & left mushroom chunks in the soup.
4. Adding sherry gives the soup a nice kick but you may omit it if you prefer.