Rainbow Chiffon Cake “Pops” (makes 12)
3 egg yolks
25g caster sugar
50ml vegetable/corn oil
50ml water/fresh milk
80g cake flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
Few drops red strawberry paste, wilton yellow, blue, green, purple colours
4 egg whites
45g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Prepare and wash eggs. Gently poke a hole with a chopstick and drain the egg. Wash the insides thoroughly. *Make sure the slippery non-stick layer inside the egg is removed.
3. Prepare the conical cup/egg holder by wrapping at least 2 layers of aluminium foil over a baking tray, and then using chopsticks to make holes. Gently insert the cups/eggs into the holes while making them bigger.
4. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till foamy before stirring in oil, milk and vanilla extract. Next add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour found.
5. Divide egg yolk batter into 5 (will need more batter for blue and purple colours, so red – 3 tsp, yellow – 3 tsp, green – 3.5 tsp, blue – 4 tsp, purple – 5 tsp). Add in a few drops of colours and mix thoroughly (middle left and right pictures).
6. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
7. Scoop the meringue into the egg yolk batter using a ratio of 1 tsp to 2 tbsp (see bottom right picture). Red – 6 tbsp, yellow – 6 tbsp, green – 7 tbsp, blue – 8 tbsp, purple – 5 tbsp).
8. Gently but quickly fold in egg whites into the 5 egg yolk batters till well combined.
9. Use a teaspoon to scoop the colours layer by layer into the cones and eggs. *For steps 7 and 8, must work quickly before meringue breaks down.
10. Bake the cake in preheated 160°C oven for 30-35 min.
11. Unmould as soon as cake pops are cool. Gently peel open the paper cones bottom up, following the paper lines to ensure cake tips are not broken. Gently peel open the egg shells in small pieces.