Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Otak Otak by Conney Romundt
Horse mackerel (I used the tail about 2 palm sizes in length, small to medium sized fish for your measurement purposes. A larger piece is fine as well)
buah keras (candlenut 5 pcs)
2 Sambal rempah pkg (which I have made previously and packaged into smaller packs and stored in freezer) about 100 gram /pkt each
2-3 tablespoon sugar
salt to taste
coriander powder 1 teaspoon or less if you don't like it to be too strong
coconut milk approx 100- 200gram
1) Fillet the tail off the bone. cut some slices and set aside . The remaining fish- scrape the meat off the mackerel tail , holding the skin taut as you scrape . Set aside fish meat and discard the skin.
2) Blend rempah again and add in the shrimp paste and candlenuts, set aside.
3) Blend fish meat in blender, add in some water and coconut milk a little at a time , continue to blend until it becomes sticky paste.
4) Mix in sambal , according to taste of how spicy you like it. You can never over add.. cos the rempah is what gives all the yummy flavour. Add, the rest of seasoning including line leaves and oil.
5) Before I steam the whole tray, I always fry a small spoonful to taste for salt level . If satisfied, scoop all out into a pyrex dish and spread a layer about 1-1.5” thick and steam for 5 min. Garnish with additional lime leave and serve with toasted bread.
* Depending on your mood, you can also scoop them into banana leaves pkgs and bake in oven. I have also frozen them with great success.