Sakura Matcha Chiffon
3 egg yolks
25g caster sugar
50ml vegetable/corn oil
50ml water/fresh milk
80g cake flour
2 tsp green matcha powder (for 2/3 of the cake batter)
¼ tsp red strawberry paste (for 1/3 of the cake batter)
4 egg whites
45g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till creamy before stirring in oil and milk.
2. Next add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour found.
3. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
4. Take out approximately 6 tsp of egg yolk batter (1/3 of egg yolk batter) and add in ¼ tsp red strawberry paste for the pink flower. Scoop over 12 tbsp of meringue and quickly but gently fold it in till well-combined.
5. Use a wilton 5 tip to pipe flowers on the base of the chiffon tin and bake the patterns for 1.5 min.
6. Mix 2 tsp green matcha powder with the rest of the egg yolk batter. Gently fold the rest of the meringue in 2 additions.
7. Pour in the green matcha batter gently over the flowers. Layer with left over pink batter.
8. Bake the cake in preheated 160°C oven for 50 minutes
9. Invert when cake is removed from oven and unmould when cake is cool.