Monday 27 January 2014

Hup Toh Soh (Chinese Walnut Cookies) by Lily Chua


Hup Toh Soh (Chinese Walnut Cookies)

Credits to go to this blog singaporeshiok.blogspot.sg. I only changed the egg wash recipe. Everything else I followed like 90% the original.  

Dough Ingredients:
200g plain flour,
100 g lightly toasted ground walnuts (I removed most skins although recipe doesn't say so)
80 g of icing sugar sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt (the person used 1 tsp)

Method:

Combine all these using a whisk in a large bowl. Then add 2 tsp of vanilla and 3/4 cup of peanut oil (I replaced with Knife brand cooking oil (mix of peanut oil and sesame oil).   Mix with fingers until a smooth dough forms, do not knead.

 Preheat the oven to 175 ( I used 170) and line a baking tray with baking paper.  Shape the dough into balls and place slightly apart and make an impression on the centre of the dough. I recommend to use the back of the 1/2 tsp measuring spoon to indent.

For the glaze - she used 3 tbsp. soy milk, 1 tbsp. of the same oil, 1 tsp icing sugar.

My glaze recipe - I used my egg wash - 1 egg, remove half the egg white and add 1/2 tsp of icing sugar. Bake for 20 min or until fragrant and golden.  ( I used only 17-18 minutes and I turned my tray around at 12 mins).  Rest on tray to set for about 5 minutes and then remove to cool on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment