110g cake flour
120g castor sugar
¼ cup evaporated milk (60ml)
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup oil (60ml)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Grate the peel of lemon to obtain 2 tsps of lemon zest. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Shift cake flour and baking powder together.
2. Add ½ of the castor sugar (60g) to egg yolks and beat till creamy and fluffy.
3. Add in 1/3 of the evaporated milk and mix well, followed by 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold well. Continue with another 1/3 of the evaporated milk and 1/3 of the flour mixture. Repeat until the evaporated milk and flour are used up.
4. Add in the vanilla essence, lemon zest and salad oil, and gently mix well.
5. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add in the remaining castor sugar, and continue to beat until peaks are formed.
6. Take 1/3 of the egg white and add to the batter. Gently fold in to mix well. Pour the batter into the remaining egg white and gently fold in to mix well.
7. Pour batter into a 17cm cake mould. Gently knock the sides of the mould to release air bubbles trapped inside.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 150oC for about 60 minutes. Remove from oven, invert the mould and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Once cooled, remove from mould.
Source: All About Cakes and Desserts