Rainbow Cake Recipe by Cheryl Lai
Cake Ingredients: (makes a 6 inch tall cake)
150g unsalted butter
3 large egg white
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
280g cake flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
240ml fresh milk
1. Preheat oven at 180C.
2. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Beat in egg white a little at a time, ensuring it's well mixed.
4. Mix in vanilla extract.
5. Add 1/3 of the sifted flour and baking powder and mix well.
6. Add 1/3 of milk. Mix well.
7. Repeat step 5 & 6 until all well incorporated.
8. Divide into 6 equal portions.
9. Add Wilton gel colouring to the 6 divided portions (Red; Orange; Yellow; Green; Blue; Violet)
10. Pour each colored batter into individual 6 inch round pans laid with baking paper and bake each colour for 15 minutes. (If you only have one pan, after the first violet layer is baked, remove it from the pan, re-line the same pan with new baking paper and pour the next coloured batter into the pan and put it into the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Repeat for the rest of the colours.)
11. Cool all cake layers on a wire rack completely before assembly.
For the fillings and crumb coating:
750g Philidelphia cream cheese
150g dairy whipping cream
2 tsp instant custard powder
1. Beat the whipping cream in a cold metal bowl with sugar till firm and stiff (do not overbeat else it will start to curd)
2. Add in custard powder and mix well.
1. After the baked cake layers are completely cooled, fill each layer generously with the cream cheese icing starting with Violet layer at the bottom, followed by Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and lastly Red layer at the top.
2. After all the 6 layers are assembled, crumb coat the whole cake with the remaining cream cheese. Put into the fridge while you prepare the outer frosting.
3. Decorate the cake as desired.